Sunday Gospel Message: The Difficulties of Finding Joy
A) King Solomon examines the vanity of life
▪ 2傳道者說：虛空的虛空，虛空的虛空，凡事都是虛空。… 8 萬事令人厭煩，人不能說盡。眼看，看不飽；耳聽，聽不足。 9 已有的事後必再有；已行的事後必再行。日光之下並無新事。… 14 我見日光之下所做的一切事，都是虛空，都是捕風。(傳1:2-14)
▪ 2 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.” … 8 All things are full of labor; Man cannot express it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, Nor the ear filled with hearing. 9 That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun. … 14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind. (Ecclesiastes 1:2-14)
B) Real joy is not built on outside influences but on the springing up of the life inside.
▪ 13耶穌回答說：「凡喝這水的還要再渴； 14 人若喝我所賜的水就永遠不渴。我所賜的水要在他裏頭成為泉源，直湧到永生。」(約4:13-14)/ …這喜樂也沒有人能奪去 (約16:22)
▪ 13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” (John 4:13-14)/ … and your joy no one will take from you. (John 16:22)
C) The secret to a life of joy
▪ 8 我將耶和華常擺在我面前… 9 因此，我的心歡喜，我的靈快樂；我的肉身也要安然居住… 11 你必將生命的道路指示我。在你面前有滿足的喜樂；在你右手中有永遠的福樂。(詩16：8，9，11)
▪ 8 I have set the Lord always before me; … 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope. … 11. You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:8,9,11)
▪ Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)
▪ …因靠耶和華而得的喜樂是你們的力量 (尼8:10)
▪ … for the joy of the Lord is your strength. (Nehemiah 8:10)
▪ 你們雖然沒有見過他，卻是愛他；如今雖不得看見，卻因信他就有說不出來、滿有榮光的大喜樂 （彼前1：8）
▪ whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, (1 Peter 1:8)
- By His grace, God often anoints us with the oil of gladness (Hebrews 1:9)
2) Possessing new life and growth
- Joy is the trait of the new life, and it is the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
▪ for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (Romans 14:17)
▪ 聖靈所結的果子，就是仁愛、喜樂、和平、忍耐、恩慈、良善、信實、 23 溫柔、節制。(加5:22-23a)
▪ But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23a)
- “Trust and Obey” is the secret to growth and joy.
▪ 10 你們若遵守我的命令，就常在我的愛裏，正如我遵守了我父的命令，常在他的愛裏。 11 這些事我已經對你們說了，是要叫我的喜樂存在你們心裏，並叫你們的喜樂可以滿足。(約15:10-11)
▪ 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. (John 15:10-11)
3) The amount of joy we feel is proportionally related to the our thankfulness.